Fat Buddies Run

Get out and do something!
commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Fat Buddies Run

Post#1 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:54 pm

Come one, come all to the Fat Buddies run across Wayah road and back on SR 28 (if you like) Friday afternoon. Meet at 5:00 pm depart at 5:30 sharp. I am hoping that McDermott will lead again this year. I will help organize, stay in touch with Fat Buddies and whatever. This should not be confused with other runs that may stop at Fat Buddies. We had a good crowd last year and hopefully we will not be stopped for a license and registration search like last year. lol
We will meet and cue up at the Phillips Motel in beautiful downtown Robbinsville, NC. Then travel south on U S 129 to 19 and 74 double back to Wayah road and run over to Franklin, NC. We will stop at he park, near the right turn on Wayah road to re-stage our run (I missed the turn last year :oops: ) Fat Buddies is good BBQ and we will most likely have our 30 to 50 cars rattling the windows through the valley by the river. This is not the fastest run as we keep it reasonable but it is a fun-run. Even though we got kinda busted up last year it was still a fun time. Mike McDermott let me know if you are in for this year to lead the run, if not then we will volunteer someone else. I do not have a map yet but I will post a link here before to long. This is lacrosse season here in Tally and I do a lot of imagery and editing for the teams. That is an excuse for not having a map ready.

If anyone out there is interested start getting your wishes known so we will have a count to pass on the Fat Buddies.

Hope to see you there.

Doug :drive:
commentator
2005 Lavaorange Mazdaspeed

topdnfun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Fat Buddies Run

Post#2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:37 pm

OK Doug, I can help you with a map.

Phillips Motel to Fat Buddies via Wayah Rd.

For all you first timers, here is where we are going:
Fat Buddies Ribs & BBQ
311 Westgate Plaza
Franklin NC
(828) 349-4743
Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield.

Swingdancr
Web Page Czar
Web Page Czar

Post#3 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Hey Doug,

Ken (bntoples) and I sat down back in October and made this map. You're more than welcome to use it as well if you'd like...
http://g.co/maps/s9vwq
Josh and Missy
Staying in Fontana
Driving the infamous Crabbycar

commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#4 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:40 pm

Both of the maps posted here are fine but not really the route we run. We go over on Wayah and folks can come back any way they want but I wanted to post the return on SR 28. I think they call that Moonshiner or something like that. I think it is a more interesting return trip, neither one of these show that.
Eric if you want to finish that map you have up with a return on SR 28 I would appreciate it. Or I will get back to it later, when we are closer to July. I really have some other things I am working on right now and I have a dickens of a time getting ether one of those map services to work right. I had the link all done from last year and by the time we got close it had expired or dropped off for some reason.
If I do it I will wait until just a couple weeks before showtime to post the link.
I will get back on there later.
commentator

topdnfun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post#5 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:50 pm

Gr8Wite
The Overlook
The Overlook

Post#6 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:23 am

Yep, Count Todd and myself in. Also our friend Dave will be taging along in his miata although hes not in this forum to sign up.

commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#7 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:22 pm

Thanks topdnfun for posting that return trip. This time of year is all lacrosse for me, I shoot video of two to four games a week, including some travel games, do a little editing and posting it on my mobileme site. Between that and work, my energy levels are pretty well tapped out. As a famous actress used to say, getting old isn't for wimps.

Getting toward the end of the season in the next couple weeks.

Looking forward to the gap this year but I hope we get some cooler weather this year. Probably won't, but just hoping.

I hope we have a good crowd this year and the fuel prices don't put a damper on that. Just paid $4.13 for premium for the mazdaspeed, might be a dollar more by July....who knows. Its not going to slow me down but I know it must be tough for many.

Great to hear your joining us Gr8Wite, bring as many as want. Wayah is a long road.

Doug
commentator

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#8 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:54 am

Count me in!

I love this run but as commentator mentioned there was a US Forest Service checkpoint a few miles from the end of Wayah Rd. last year. Apparently this is something fairly common in the area, so if you're making this run (or just coming to MATG in general) make sure your license and registration is up to date!
Last edited by yoARKiV on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The MATG Beer Guy
Official "ARKiV's Gap Attack!" Website: http://yoarkiv.com/arkiv/GA/
ARKiV's Gap Attack! Photo Page
ARKiV's Gap Attack! Video Page
My Picasa Photo Gallery from MATG XVI

commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#9 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:39 pm

Thank you James,

I wish I would have thought to post that. A great reminder. As I remember there were a couple folks who did not have all "their papers, let me see your papers" last year just heard that. I had all mine but I don't even remember what they were asking for. I think you are supposed to have license, registration and maybe even proof of insurance but I am not sure about that one. :cops:
commentator

Swingdancr
Web Page Czar
Web Page Czar

Post#10 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:19 pm

Yes, both TN and NC will require license, registration and proof of insurance if you are ever pulled over. Both states require you to carry minimum liability insurance.
Josh and Missy
Staying in Fontana
Driving the infamous Crabbycar

Bennett
Tabcat Bridge
Tabcat Bridge

Post#11 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:56 pm

I just read this post and called Mike McDermott. He stated that he is planning on leading the run to Fat Buddies. He also stated that he forgot his password and hasn't taken the time to re-establish a new one and asked me to reply to the post.

Looking forward to the trip!
Bob Bennett

michael mcdermott
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#12 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Thanks to Bob for reminding me that I needed to reset my password. I do indeed plan on going to Fat Buddies and hope we get as many folks as last year.
Mike
miatamike 92 Sunburst, 00SE, 04MSM

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#13 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:08 pm

Welcome back, Mike! :lol:
The MATG Beer Guy
Official "ARKiV's Gap Attack!" Website: http://yoarkiv.com/arkiv/GA/
ARKiV's Gap Attack! Photo Page
ARKiV's Gap Attack! Video Page
My Picasa Photo Gallery from MATG XVI

michael mcdermott
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#14 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Thank Ya, Thank Ya very much :cops: Hopefully we won't see this again in the mountains.

commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#15 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Hello Mike,

Looking forward to the run again this year. I hope this is all in my mind because I thought the same thing last year and that is that it seems a bit slow on the forum. I would like to see some more chatter here about who and what and where but maybe things will pick up in June.

Anyway glad you will be leading the pack this year, as we start getting an idea of how many will call Fat Buddies and let he management know. They seem to be glad to know about how many and when so I will take care of that.

Looking forward to seeing you, and many of the Mardigrasmiata folks. I hope you are doing well in the Pelican State.
Doug
commentator

jewel
Tabcat Bridge
Tabcat Bridge

Post#16 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:09 pm

We will be going again this year. Love Fat Buddies! Almost as good as the barbecue here in Memphis. Hope to see everybody again!
93 Black & Tan "C" Package; 03 Special Edition #1235/1549 (Jewel)

michael mcdermott
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#17 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:31 am

I'm getting excited, it's under a month, gas prices are going down, temperatures are going up, twisty roads await.
Mike

commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#18 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:18 am

Okay, where are all the Miata and barbecue lovers out there? It looks like nobody is going to MATG this year.

Let me hear from you, it is time to start counting up lots of miatas and other cars for that matter winding through Wayah road and over to Franklin to Fat Buddies.

Is there anybody there? :beer:
commentator

ntorch
The Overlook
The Overlook

Post#19 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Count me in for 2.
2009 CY

michael mcdermott
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#20 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:54 pm

:dragon: :dragon: Hey it's time for BBQ I am ready to go. This year at Tech day we are checking inspection stickers, Drivers license dates, etc Just in case. :cops: If you are going to Fat buddies please check yours. Even if you are not going check them. It is going to be another great year.
Mike :drive:

michael mcdermott
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#21 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:04 pm

I think we will have 7 cars and 14 people + Ntorch for two = Jewel for two and commentator for two
So far that is 10 cars and 20 folks.
Please help manage this by letting us know if you would like to go.
Mike

topdnfun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post#22 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:53 pm

Add one car, two people.

floored
Tabcat Bridge
Tabcat Bridge

Post#23 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:18 pm

One car, one person. I'll be there.

docfreud
Tabcat Bridge
Tabcat Bridge

Post#24 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:46 pm

Greetings from Canada!

My son and I will be heading down for our first father-and-son Miatas At The Gap Weekend! :D
So count us in for the Fat Buddies Run!! :lol:

commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#25 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:18 pm

I have in the ball park of 13 cars and I usually county 1.5 people per car but it sometimes is a bit higher than that but 13 or 14 cars and 22 to 28 people.
There is still room for more please let us know as close as you can if you are miata or miata plus one, or are bringing a group. If you are in a group try to find out if it is one per car two.

It is early yet I will call Fat Buddies on Thursday July 26th, with an estimate and then we will try to call them before we leave from The Phillips hotel.

It has been posted before but please remember to have your drivers license, registration and proof of insurance just in case of a road check.

We will start at the Phillips Motel, 5:00 pm, depart for Fat Buddies at 5:30 sharp. Please see the trip map over Wayah road posted here.

I will be checking and posting regularly until I leave.

Doug :D
commentator

Return to “Events”