Fat Buddies Run Friday Evening

Get out and do something!
commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Fat Buddies Run Friday Evening

Post#1 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:21 pm

I was involved for several years in a Fat Buddies Run on Friday evenings and I will give it a go this year. Not to be confused or intended to compete with any other run, this run will gather at 5:00 PM Friday, July 29th, at the Phillips Motel in Robbinsville, leave at 5:30 pm travel south on U S 129 to 19 and 74 double back to Wayah road and run over to Franklin, NC. Fat Buddies is some of the best BBQ around. The route back is usually on your own doubling back on Wayah or back over via 28 which is great run in its own right. This particular run used to have 30 to 50 cars in years past. If we have 5 cars or 50 we will go. If anyone is interested jump in. I will post a map of some kind later.
Last edited by commentator on Mon May 23, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commentator
2005 Lavaorange Mazdaspeed

michael mcdermott
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Re: Fat Buddies Run Friday Evening

Post#2 » Sun May 22, 2011 5:16 pm

I led that run a couple of years. I am returning to the Gap this year and will plan to make Fat Budddies.
Mike
miatamike 92 Sunburst, 00SE, 04MSM

commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#3 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:49 pm

Mike McDermott,

This is Doug from Florida, you might remember me.

You are back this year, thanks for posting a reply I was wondering if you were going this year.

How about being lead car like before. I will take care of getting in touch with Fat Buddies on the number of people and cars. If we have a good turnout we will get somebody to stay at the turns to help people find their way. We can find some folks with the FRS radios and we should be good to go. You always did a great job of pacing the run. Let me know if you are good for lead car and we will go from there to see who joins us :drive:
commentator

michael mcdermott
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#4 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:44 pm

Hey Doug, Good to hear from you. We lost our lodging at Tapoco so this year I will be staying at the Phillips. I think you can count on me to lead. I don't think my tail guy Lloyd is going this year so we will have to keep turns marked. I was up there earlier this month and measured the distance from the Topton bridge to the turn to Wayah rd. It's 2 miles almost exactly. See you in July.
Mike

commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#5 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:23 pm

Mike,

Thanks Mike, you are the point man then that, sounds great, we will see who joins in. Doesn't seem to be as much posting as in years past. I hope things pick up.

As you said, see you in July.

Doug
commentator

bntoples
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#6 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:57 pm

Don't worry. The word'll get around. :-) You posted the run, they'll come.
The only difference between Spirited & Stupid is tire squeal.
Most of my friends think I'm straight.

GeeBee
The Overlook
The Overlook

Post#7 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:42 pm

The Fat Buddies run sounds like fun. The wife and I are planning to attend. (That's one car and two people, if you're keeping count.)

Edited to add: I'll have two FRS radios with me, so I can loan one if someone else needs it.

commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#8 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:16 pm

GeeBee wrote:The Fat Buddies run sounds like fun. The wife and I are planning to attend. (That's one car and two people, if you're keeping count.)

Welcome GeeBee, If you are new to MATG then you are in for a great time. The roads are great, and meeting new people is to me even better.

Welcome to the run, Phillips Motel, meet at 5 we leave at 5:30 if someone needs a radio to use thank you. I actually have two of those myself. Always seems to work better that way.

I am trying to keep a count but as you can see not many relpies. I am hoping for more next month, and when we get closer to the date I will call and let Fat Buddies know how many i have. I you have never had Fat Buddies you are in for a treat.

Welcome to the party and safe Miataing :)

Doug
commentator

Gr8Wite
The Overlook
The Overlook

Post#9 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Count two in here. We've made the run the past couple of years and really enjoy it!

Swingdancr
Web Page Czar
Web Page Czar

Post#10 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:50 pm

I might join in for this one this year. Mind to have an OTM (Other Than Miata) join the caravan?
Josh and Missy
Staying in Fontana
Driving the infamous Crabbycar

Evil Dave
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#11 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:55 am

Swingdancr wrote:I might join in for this one this year. Mind to have an OTM (Other Than Miata) join the caravan?

As long as the top drops.

commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#12 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:25 pm

Love for you to join in this year. We will get lil Gracie started out right with some BBQ from Fat Buddies, lol.

I have not been on here for awhile, the last two weekends I was out of town on lacrosse tourney photo shoots, Peach Tree City and Jacksonville. I will be glad to be home this weekend.

Please everyone let me know if you are joining the ride to Fat Buddies so I can get count.

Lets hear from you out there.

:drive:
commentator

michael mcdermott
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#13 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:33 am

Mike will probably have 5 or 6 cars.10 to 11 folks

commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#14 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:53 pm

Alright Mike,

Bringing five cars, I am hoping a couple cars will make it from the Blue Waters where I stay. It looks like a hot MATG this year if it is going to be anything like what we are getting in Florida so far this summer. I am hoping for some relief from the heat but my guess is it will have to be in the form of a shower. My first year at MATG in 2005 we did the fat buddies run and came back on SR-28 in a horrendous rain shower. It was pitch black and a hard driving rain for most of the way back. My wife and I had never driven in a rain like that through dark mountain passes but we had Topdnfn to lead the way and we made it. The headlights and windshield wipers were fighting a loosing battle. It was a bit unnerving for us flat-landers then, but I am sure it was not as bad as it seemed. That being stated, we still had a great adventure that first year and I have been back every year but one since then. I am looking forward to this year as well. If there is anyone sitting on the fence out there come and join us for MATG this year, you will not be disappointed. :popcorn:
commentator

michael mcdermott
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#15 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:50 pm

It was that bad! We still talk about that drive back. Had to be the worst storm I have ever driven in. Frogs in the road, not sure if they came out of the sky or lived there.
Mike

commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#16 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Mike

I thought I was just a newbie and that is why that trip was a bit unnerving.

I hope we get some new folks on the FBs run this year and some veteran Wayah road folks. That road is one that can add a few gray hairs to my bald head. :D

Later!!
commentator

Miatamanone
The Overlook
The Overlook

Post#17 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:40 pm

I will attend the Fat Buddies Event Friday night.

Ron ( Miatamanone)

2005 Velocity Red Mazdaspeed Miata
1996 Montego Blue Miata

JB 94 Laguna
Gravity Cavity
Gravity Cavity

Post#18 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:34 pm

I plan on attending, and I guess my girlfriend will come with. :lol:

jewel
Tabcat Bridge
Tabcat Bridge

Post#19 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:58 pm

Since I know Mike and went on this run several years ago with he and Lloyd, and since my wife and I will be returning to the gap this year, and since we can't resist good barbeque, and since this place has pretty good barbeque, and since I am an expert at knowing good barbeque because I am from Memphis, and since I need to end this sentence, we will be going on this run! :drive:
93 Black & Tan "C" Package; 03 Special Edition #1235/1549 (Jewel)

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#20 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:15 pm

I missed this run last year after making it the two years prior. Count me in on this one!
The MATG Beer Guy
Official "ARKiV's Gap Attack!" Website: http://yoarkiv.com/arkiv/GA/
ARKiV's Gap Attack! Photo Page
ARKiV's Gap Attack! Video Page
My Picasa Photo Gallery from MATG XVI

michael mcdermott
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#21 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:50 am

So far I count 24 or 25, Jewel, glad to hear you are going to make it. where are you staying

commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#22 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:09 pm

I have a link to a map of the Fat Buddies run and I hope it works. If not maybe Swingdancer can help me out. The link is below I did not do a round trip as everyone finds their own route back. I assume it is okay to post links on this forum.

It might be best to team up with a group or individual if you are new or not sure of how to get back.

http://tinyurl.com/42djceh

Doug
commentator

michael mcdermott
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#23 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Link works Doug, I think a return link would be good for Hwy28 as well as Wayah. Folks will follow us over but some may have to return without guidance.

commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#24 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:51 pm

Here is a return trip to Phillips of course those going back to Fontana will bear to the right and stay on 28 when they get to the SR-28, SR-143 split. We will see if this works.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203 ... 9,0.623817

Doug
commentator

commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#25 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Hello Fat Buddies BBQ lovers
We are at about 24 people maybe 12 cars that are declaring their intentions to run with the Miatas on Wayah to Fat Buddies. We will have some more I think that may not want to commit as yet. If you can, please chime in so I can get as good a count to Fat Buddies as possible as there may be several groups going in Friday. I want to make sure I separate the evening run with others that may stop in there on Friday.

MATG is not about organizing and I like that aspect and do not want to change it, so if you don't know for sure if you are going, don't let that stop you from deciding later and coming along. Last minute deciders are welcome. I will give Fat Buddies a count before I head out Thursday, and another count at the Phillips when we get ready to drive. We have had as many as 50 Miatas or more rumbling through that valley in years past. Sometimes we would see folks along the side of the road watching with dropped jaws as the thundering herd went by.

We have a good leader car (Mike)he will pace the run without getting too crazy or too lazy. We will mark turns and use FRS radio to help stay in touch, those who have both CB and FRS can help out by bridging the gap in communications. Please see my links for maps of the run. I will try to make myself known at Phillips and at Fat Buddies and let folks know what return options there are.

MATG is about making new friends and reuniting with long time friends. Come along and have some fun.

Doug :drive:
commentator

Return to “Events”