Saturday Night Beer Swap and Wine Tasting

Get out and do something!
Swingdancr
Web Page Czar
Web Page Czar

Saturday Night Beer Swap and Wine Tasting

Post#1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:57 pm

The annual Beer Swap is continuing its tradition again this year!!! Also, as with last year, there will be some wine tasting as well.

Make sure you bring some local brews and wines for trade!!!

As a special surprise, I've enlisted the help of a friend who's family owns and runs a homebrew store. He will be bringing with him some setups and supplies for sale to start brewing your own beer and fermenting your own wine. He will be set up at the Beer Swap on Saturday night, so look for him there!

If you'd like to make some requests in advance, you can contact him through the store:
Chris Pearson
Ferment Station Homebrew Supplies
8817 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37923
(865) 694-7993
http://www.fermentstation.com
Josh and Missy
Staying in Fontana
Driving the infamous Crabbycar

redmx5lady
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Re: Saturday Night Beer Swap and Wine Tasting

Post#2 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:49 am

Looking forward to this event!...I will be contributing several bottles of "Tennessee Mead" This is wine made with honey instead of grapes and packs quite a punch!
Check it out...Shady Grove Meadery
http://www.shadygrovemead.com/
Staying @ Fontana in 2012!
MX5LADY & the "LIL RED ROADSTER"
HAVE YOU HUGGED A CURVE TODAY!

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#3 » Mon May 23, 2011 4:20 pm

Swingdancr wrote:As a special surprise, I've enlisted the help of a friend who's family owns and runs a homebrew store. He will be bringing with him some setups and supplies for sale to start brewing your own beer and fermenting your own wine. He will be set up at the Beer Swap on Saturday night, so look for him there!

This is indeed a nice surprise! I look forward to meeting him.

Sorry for not posting recently, but never fear, the MATG Beer Guy will be there with my usual accoutrement of fine ales and lagers for consumption and trading. More details on the selection to come. As always, any requests or recommendations are encouraged, just post them in this thread.
The MATG Beer Guy
Official "ARKiV's Gap Attack!" Website: http://yoarkiv.com/arkiv/GA/
ARKiV's Gap Attack! Photo Page
ARKiV's Gap Attack! Video Page
My Picasa Photo Gallery from MATG XVI

johnnymx5

Post#4 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:08 pm

James,

I missed last year but will be there this year! I will grab some Mt Carmel Seasonal Summer Wheat Ale. I can get it at Krogers here. Check out the website and see if anything else would be a good fit.

http://www.mtcarmelbrewingcompany.com/5.html

Thanks!

John

Sun Lover
The Overlook
The Overlook

Post#5 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:14 am

The wine tasting was new last year and we had a great participation. We need a few people to bring a corkscrew along and don't forget your wine glass (preferably acrylic). We could have used some munchies last year so if you can, bring along something simple........crackers, chips, pretzels. We can get cheese in the store at Fontana. A fold up chair is a good idea if you can fit it in. Looking forward to a fun evening. Glad to see James has finally surfaced again with his beer plans!!
Sun Lover

THEIslandGirl
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Post#6 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:57 pm

We'll be there with our special bottle Sangria :wink: and a few other surprises. We will try to get over to the Tellico Plains bakery for a fresh baguette or two I will see about a few other things....yeah, last year we could have used some treats to go with the wine. :)
THE IslandGirl...Sharon
*I'm a Poster Child for
SUNSHINE!*
CHESAPEAKE ROADSTERS
2014 Club PRHT *Mr. Peabody*
1996 White *Casper*

DRFT MX5
The Overlook
The Overlook

Post#7 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:22 am

My friend Steve and I will be homebrewing again this year, we were the crazy guys who showed up with three kegs last year, looking forward to seeing you all again! We'll also be bringing a few Virginia and New York wines for those of you who prefer the fruit of the vine. Cheers!
Chris Samulski

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#8 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:50 pm

The beer collection is starting to take shape! I've already picked out the beers I'll have available for trade as well as a few of the ones for sampling. As always, any requests or suggestions are welcome! Stay tuned to this thread and my website for the full list, to be completed soon!
The MATG Beer Guy

Swingdancr
Web Page Czar
Web Page Czar

Post#9 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:43 pm

I spoke with Chris from Ferment Station on Friday. He is having to undergo surgery on the 23rd and won't be able to make it this year. The business consists of Chris and his two parents, so unfortunately none of them will be there since they have to keep the store open. The surgery is almost considered emergency surgery, so please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.
Josh and Missy
Staying in Fontana
Driving the infamous Crabbycar

THEIslandGirl
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Post#10 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:52 am

yoARKiV wrote:The beer collection is starting to take shape! I've already picked out the beers I'll have available for trade as well as a few of the ones for sampling. As always, any requests or suggestions are welcome! Stay tuned to this thread and my website for the full list, to be completed soon!

We need the Facebook LIKE button here!! :)
THE IslandGirl...Sharon
*I'm a Poster Child for
SUNSHINE!*
CHESAPEAKE ROADSTERS
2014 Club PRHT *Mr. Peabody*
1996 White *Casper*

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#11 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:33 pm

I have FINALLY completed the beer collection! Below is the list of what I will be bringing for trade and sampling. If you're looking for more details on the beers, visit my website's Saturday Night Beer Swap Beer List page and click each beer's name to be directed to their respective review page at Beer Advocate!

The Saturday Night Beer Swap Beer List
12oz Bottles
12 Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster
6 Elevator Mogabi
6 Elevator Three Frogs IPA
4 Elevator Horny Goat
3 Founders Imperial Stout
3 Founders KBS
3 Bells The Oracle
2 Founders Backwoods Bastard
2 Founders Devil Dancer
2 Founders Nemesis 2010
2 Founders Nemesis 2009
2 Bells 25th Anniversary Ale
1 Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout
Total 12oz Bottles: 48

22oz Bottles
3 New Holland Dragon's Milk
2 Stone Imperial Russian Stout
2 Brew Kettle Summer Solstice (No Link Available)
1 Hoppin' Frog Doris The Destroyer
1 Heavy Seas Plank I
1 Green Flash Grand Cru
1 Green Flash Trippel
1 New Holland El Mole Ocho
1 New Holland Envious
1 Great Divide Belgian Style Yeti Imperial Stout
Total 22oz Bottles: 14

750mL Bottles
1 Founders Blushing Monk
1 Schlafly Reserve Imperial Stout 2007 Vintage
Total 750mL Bottles: 2

See you at the swap!
The MATG Beer Guy

paNX2K&SE-R
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#12 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:20 am

That looks like a great list James! I want to stop by East End and grab some growlers before we leave. One of my good Nissan friends I told you about last year is a real beer aficionado (i.e. beer snob, He and his new wife had a bunch of friends from the beer forums make awesome home brews for their wedding in May) and he loves their stuff. Here is their website: http://www.eastendbrewing.com/

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#13 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:48 am

I was checking tailofthedragon.com's Calendar Page to see if there were any other groups in the area next weekend, when I noticed instead of "Miatas At The Gap" it said "Miatas At The Gap and Micro Brew Beer Swap". I guess this little beer party isn't so little anymore! Can't wait to see you all Saturday night!
The MATG Beer Guy

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#14 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:38 pm

For those still paying attention... If for some strange reason it happens to be raining on Saturday night, I have received the OK from Fontana to move the swap/tasting from the vendor area to the front porch of the ice cream shop and general store! The folks at Fontana (Will, et. al.) once again have gone out of their way to make sure we have a great time! Be sure to thank a Fontana employee this weekend.
The MATG Beer Guy

bladernr
Admin
Admin

Post#15 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:43 pm

I think this was one of the best beer swaps I've been to yet, good job James! The samples you brought with you were fabulous (especially that Raspberry). Though I must admit that I drank a bit much, after trying all the wines and most of the beers...

Also thanks to Steve and the other guy who brought the two mini-kegs... those home-brews were amazing, especially the Pink beer :)
"I drank what?" - Socrates

1991 SE British Racing Green
2007 Honda VTX1800C (Taming the Dragon with .2 extra Liters and 2 less wheels)

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#16 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:58 pm

:beer:

A big thanks to all that came out for the Beer Swap and Wine Tasting at Fontana. I'm glad the rain stayed away, I probably couldn't have gone through all the beer if it had been on the porch. We went through all but four of my bottles! Thanks to the homebrewers who brought their magical concoctions, all those who contributed and consumed, those who graciously went on ice runs to the general store and most of all A HUGE HEAP OF THANKS to the staff of Fontana Village Resort for doing all they did to help a beer guy out. They provided the tables, tents, trash cans and ice bin. They even went so far as to provide 4 bags of ice and a bunch of bottled water too!
(Raise your glass...)
Here's to the greatest bunch of beer loving car nuts the Great Smoky Mountains has ever seen! Until next year...
The MATG Beer Guy

RideRageCoatings
Vendor
Vendor

Post#17 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:31 am

Once again James you did a fantastic job. It was great to mingle with friends and meet new ones.

Dan and Carla
Dan and Carla Hill
Ride Rage Coatings and More
"Helping you to personalize your ride"
Check us out on Instagram "rideragecoatings.net/" to see the latest happenings at the shop!

Return to “Events”