Fat Buddies Run

Get out and do something!
commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Fat Buddies Run

Post#1 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:37 pm

Miatas at the Gap 13 will have a Fat Buddies BBQ run this year. For anyone new to this, Fat Buddies is a BBQ restaurant in Franklin, North Carolina.

I cannot decide which is the better, making the run across Wayah road or eating the food at Fat Buddies or the new people and old friends that you meet. All three IMHO is what Miatas at the GAP is all about.

For now, we will meet at the Phillips Motel in downtown Robbinsville at around 5:00 pm, Friday July, 24. We will leave as a group (about 25 to 35 cars or more) at 5:30 pm, head south on US 129 toward Andrew, make hard left turn north on SR 19 US 74, make a right on Wayah road and run almost all the way to Franklin, we end up on 64 into a little strip shopping area near Franklin and the home of Fat Buddies.

I am sure someone will post a map, if not I will get to it later.

Come and join the drive.

Doug :beer:
commentator
2005 Lavaorange Mazdaspeed

Ron G K
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Re: Fat Buddies Run

Post#2 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:10 pm

Doug
Dee And I made the run this year with the 55 cars and I agree ! The food is great and the road is fantastic.
We will be at the Phillips at 5:00 to make sure we can be at the front of the pack again.
See you in July?
Ron&Dee Kennedy
Kitchener Ontario
Canada
Ron & Dee Kennedy

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#3 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:01 pm

I did this last year and had a great time both on the drive and at the restaurant, especially when the whole room sang "Happy Birthday" to me! Count me in for this year!
The MATG Beer Guy
Official "ARKiV's Gap Attack!" Website: http://yoarkiv.com/arkiv/GA/
ARKiV's Gap Attack! Photo Page
ARKiV's Gap Attack! Video Page
My Picasa Photo Gallery from MATG XVI

commentator
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#4 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:58 pm

Hello Fat Buddies Gang

Well, I might as well get this said and done. I won't be making the trip this year to MATG. My plans are right now to go on a roadster drive to the far northwest late this summer and I cannot make both trips. Of course I learned that plans don't mean a whole lot in life but they will have to do for now. I will miss the gang this year but I am looking forward to my new adventure.

I am not sure if McDermott is going to the gap this year. I thought he posted that he was not going but if he plans on being there he will no doubt lead the Fat Buddies run. I have always made the arrangements with Fat Buddies management by keeping them up to speed on how many are in our group and when we will arrive. I hope someone will fill in for me this year by taking care of that.

I plan to return in 2010 but until then, ride safe and have a great MATG.
commentator

2005 Lavaorange Mazdaspeed

michael mcdermott
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#5 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:51 pm

It's sad, but I will not be at the gap this year. I have made plans for a visist in October. Someone else will have to step up and lead the way to Fat Buddies. I will be thinking of being there though. :( :( :(
Mike
miatamike 92 Sunburst, 00SE, 04MSM

BUZZOOM
The Overlook
The Overlook

Post#6 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:54 am

Michael, Re: Fat Buddies

Are you also aware of another planned run in 2009 on Friday to Fat buddies for Lunch and then on to North GA in the afternoon ?

Buzzoom
Enjoy The Ride !

Ron G K
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Post#7 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:05 am

Hay Guy's

Could someone please post is the Fat Buddies run at 5pm still on from the Philip's

Also what time and where from, is the run to Fat Buddies then GA on Friday?
Thx
Ron & Dee Kennedy

lkezliv
Gravity Cavity
Gravity Cavity

Post#8 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:00 am

Fridays run leaves Phillips motel Friday 9:30 - 10:00 am
Larry
'99 Emerald Green
MIchigan, (plate) MIDLIFC

redmx5lady
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Post#9 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:24 am

Will that be the GA waterfall run after Fat Buddies? via 441 into GA.?
Staying @ Fontana in 2012!
MX5LADY & the "LIL RED ROADSTER"
HAVE YOU HUGGED A CURVE TODAY!

psbjames70
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#10 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:40 am

So is anyone leading the Fat Buddies run on Friday evening. If not, I think the Maryland contingency could work on finding someone to lead this run...??? It was classic fun on the twisties last year and certainly would not be MATG without it...

James
2008 Special Edition MX-5 with Mazdaspeed Sways, Shocks, and Springs
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3113/245 ... e2ba_o.jpg

lkezliv
Gravity Cavity
Gravity Cavity

Post#11 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:33 pm

There's two different runs to Fat Buddies one led by Ken that goes 9:30-10:00 for a run and ends up at Fat b. and one that goes in the about 5:30
Larry

'99 Emerald Green

MIchigan, (plate) MIDLIFC

ggmom
The Overlook
The Overlook

Post#12 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:45 pm

Friday at Five at Fhillips (sorry Phillips) sounds good. Bunk is always hungry!

Laura :drive:

Ragtop Girl
Gap Mistress
Gap Mistress

Post#13 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:37 pm

psbjames70 wrote:So is anyone leading the Fat Buddies run on Friday evening. If not, I think the Maryland contingency could work on finding someone to lead this run...??? It was classic fun on the twisties last year and certainly would not be MATG without it...

James

Looks like no one in particular has stepped up to fill the void so you guys are it!
Stef

ggmom
The Overlook
The Overlook

Post#14 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Does this mean James is leading the run?? That would be a good thing.
:applaud:

Laura

MXCOPPERRED
Tabcat Bridge
Tabcat Bridge

Post#15 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:40 pm

Doug

Count us in.

Dave and Carol Ann Wilson
St. Clair Township
Ontario, Canada

Ron and Dee save us a spot at your table.
Thanks Dave..... :D

psbjames70
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#16 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:05 am

Well, I didn't know that the Fat Buddies run was tagged to me until today... oh well. (More like oh sh__!!!)

BUT, thanks to an awesome group of Miata enthusiasts, we still had an awesome run... Here is the list of folks to I want to personally thank...

James from Ohio - Got the word out about call Fat Buddies to let them know that 60 people were coming (39 cars).

Joe from Florida - He and his wife used their 2009 Competition Yellow as a road marker to make sure everyone turned on Wayah road off of US19.

Whoever actually called Fat Buddies (speak up and let us know so we can properly thank you).

Ron from Pennsylvania - For letting Fat Buddies know at lunch time that the run was today and NOT Saturday.

and a big THANKS to Ron from Ontario for leading the run. He did a spectacular job.

I can only take credit for delegating these tasks, everyone else stepped up. I chalk up this success to a bit of it Dragon karma and a bunch of wonderful Miata folks.

Guess this is what makes this gathering so SPECIAL!!!

Also, it was great to see a bunch a new faces on all the runs I have been thus far. Word is getting out about this through the Internet. We even had a guest M3 BMW join us on the FB run.

I will never forget this particular run. Thanks everyone... :dragon:
2008 Special Edition MX-5 with Mazdaspeed Sways, Shocks, and Springs
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3113/245 ... e2ba_o.jpg

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#17 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:28 am

This is one of if not THE best run of the entire weekend... it was last year and again it was this year. (With the Thursday Night Sunset Run close behind) Always neat to see a huge line of Miatas tearing through a North Carolina mountain pass at a "spirited" pace. I would like to thank everyone that stepped up to make this run go off without a hitch including YOU psbjames70... without your superb delegation abilities it would have been much more confusing. :applaud:

P.S. The food was good too! (there was food?)
The MATG Beer Guy
Official "ARKiV's Gap Attack!" Website: http://yoarkiv.com/arkiv/GA/
ARKiV's Gap Attack! Photo Page
ARKiV's Gap Attack! Video Page
My Picasa Photo Gallery from MATG XVI

Return to “Events”