Waterfall Tour

Get out and do something!
halmcgee
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Waterfall Tour

Post#1 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:13 pm

OK gang. I think I got it right in 2008 but there is always room for improvement. I am going to scan and post the directions here. We had quite a few cars last year and we had some problems at the various spots getting everyone parked. So I would like someone to volunteer to lead a second group or even third depending on the interest.

Also my wife want to go the other way so I am going to see what is on the net about waterfalls in Tennessee across the Gap. If I can I will devise a tour that goes into Tennessee.

Anyway looking for a volunteer to lead a second group at a little earlier/later time so we don't have as much congestion.

redmx5lady
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Re: Waterfall Tour

Post#2 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:59 am

Coming in from the Knoxville Tn area, & would love info when you decide about the Tn. Waterfall tour, thats what im looking for to the most.
Staying @ Fontana in 2012!
MX5LADY & the "LIL RED ROADSTER"
HAVE YOU HUGGED A CURVE TODAY!

halmcgee
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#3 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:07 pm

I sort of changed my mind a bit after a bit of research I found a waterfall in Georgia that is the third tallest fall east of the Mississippi. Can drive right up to it. The falls I keep finding in Tennessee that are local are down dirt roads or require a bit of a hike. But if you know of some, give me the names and let me do some research. I can always change my mind again.

bladernr
Admin
Admin

Post#4 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:22 pm

Hey Hal,

Depending on when you are planning on running the Waterfall tour, I may be able to lead a staggered group. That'll all depend, of course, on what my better half wants to do. So far, however, the only thing we've definitely decided on is yoARKiV's Thursday Sunset Cherohala run and the Dam Picture.

We had a ball last year on the waterfall tour, and had a great time riding to the Gap with you and your wife as well as the other TMR members that went on Thursday, and if you've got some new waterfalls up your sleeve, I'm certainly keen on that.
"I drank what?" - Socrates

1991 SE British Racing Green
2007 Honda VTX1800C (Taming the Dragon with .2 extra Liters and 2 less wheels)

Ron G K
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Post#5 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi From Canada
We will be arriving Wed night and it looks like we will be with Jamie on the Full Circle Thursday Morning from Fontana.
We would like to hear when the waterfall run is set to leave and from where?
That Georgia fall's sounds great but due to two Knee replacements a lot of hiking is not in the cards for me!
Ron&Dee Kennedy
Kitchener
Ontario Canada
Last edited by Ron G K on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron & Dee Kennedy

redmx5lady
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Post#6 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:53 pm

Coming ur Thursday & will be doen the Thursday night sunset Cherohala run. Would like to also know when & where info about the waterfall tour, sounds like alot of fun!

miatalovr
Tabcat Bridge
Tabcat Bridge

Post#7 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:05 pm

Hey Hal,
We joined you guys last year for the Waterfall Tour and truly enjoyed the day. I've seen this seems to still be in the planning stages, do you think we'll still be doing this Friday morning? We're not coming in until Friday AM so wanted to get an idea how early.

Anticipation is building! :totop:
Keep on Zoomin',

lkezliv
Gravity Cavity
Gravity Cavity

Post#8 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:43 pm

Whats the name of the Falls in Ga that you plan on doing, when leaving and from where ?
Thanks
Larry
'99 Emerald Green
MIchigan, (plate) MIDLIFC

halmcgee
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#9 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:19 pm

Amicolala Falls. Here is a link to some information.

http://www.pbase.com/kluken/amicalola_falls

According to this they have a $3 parking fee. There is parking at the bottom and the top of the falls and a restaurant there as well. I am going to start planning the route there and back. I plan on leaving from the Robbinsville school parking lot again this year and hope not to try everyone's patience like I did last year. I will also look for some other neat stuff there and back.

The details are meet Friday before 10 am in the school parking lot, I'll get the address and post it, drive to Georgia and see the falls and eat lunch. Drive home. I'll try to plan an interesting route. I'll als try to run off maps like last year.

I recommend FRS radios.

redmx5lady
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Post#10 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:10 pm

Sounds good to hubby & i also! Lived in north ga area 10 yrs & never went to the falls there (sad huh) be glad to join on your planned run, we are so with you!

ggmom
The Overlook
The Overlook

Post#11 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:51 am

Saw the falls years ago when hubby and I were able to hike, they lead into the AT at the southern end. Would be great to see the area again.
We are so looking forward to this year :lol: :drive:

Laura and Bunk

Ragtop Girl
Gap Mistress
Gap Mistress

Post#12 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:47 am

Hal, count me in on this one. :drive:
:dragon:
Stef

MidGAGuy
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Post#13 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:21 pm

Interesting... we'll be driving up from Middle GA (leaving Friday AM) and if I time it right, would be fun to meet at the falls.

Checking directions on Google Maps... I'm leading a caravan of 3 Miatas.

bntoples
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#14 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:32 pm

Hey Hal:
I'll be leading another run to Fat Buddies & Elljay Rd from in front of the Phillps Motel, Friday morning again this year. Meeting up at 9:30 & leaving at 10:00 Sharp to try to get out of your way.

Looking at the map it looks like you could make a GA Snake/Blood Mountain run while getting there, ending up on US 19 then head towards DeLonaga.

Anyway Have a Great run.

Ken aka Bntoples.
The only difference between Spirited & Stupid is tire squeal.
Most of my friends think I'm straight.

wndblwn
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Post#15 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:34 pm

This sounds good. About how far are the falls from Robbinsville? :drive:

bntoples
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#16 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:37 pm

I'm just guessing ~2-3 hours away over some very good roads both down & back.
The only difference between Spirited & Stupid is tire squeal.
Most of my friends think I'm straight.

halmcgee
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#17 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:04 pm

Bad news guys. My Miata suffered an oil pump failure and I don't know how much engine damage I have. I am exploring alternatives but if I can't get it running I don't think you want to follow me in the OTM. I will know more for sure by the end of this week. Sorry for the bad news. I'll keep everyone posted...

redmx5lady
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Post#18 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:48 am

OH NO! Hope your miata will be okay. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for Hal & his mx5!

halmcgee
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#19 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:24 pm

OK guys, had a moment of weakness last night. You may be led in A Toyota Camry but the waterfall tour is on. I am going to start working out the details of the route.

halmcgee
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#20 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Hey Ken,
I'll be leaving shortly after you from the same place. Where is the Georgia Snake? I googled it but no luck. What's your route?
Thanks
Hal

wndblwn
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Post#21 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:37 pm

Sorry to hear about that Hal. We will keep our fingers crossed and hopefully it will be running by next week.

halmcgee
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#22 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:20 pm

IT's ALIVE!!! Thanks for the good vibes! I tried it one more time but with the engine running and the oil pump started working. I guess even my Miata can't miss the Gap. Oh man, now so much planning and work to do!

wndblwn
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Post#23 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:53 pm

Great News!! You cant keep a Miata down. :drive:

Mickey
Tabcat Bridge
Tabcat Bridge

Post#24 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:55 pm

I have a question:
Will the Waterfall tour be back in time to do the 5:00 Fat Buddies run?
or, if not will there be another Fat Buddies run on Saturday?

halmcgee
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#25 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:57 am

The answer is I don't really know. Google shows the route at just over two hours. So if we leave at 10:30 at the lastest, get there around 12:30ish, eat lunch (about an hour) view the falls, about an hour, then drive back, we should get back between 4:30 (optimisitic) or 5:30 most like or later. You are welcome to drop off at any time and head back. Also this puts us coming back at what will pass for rush hour which I don;t know how bad will be. Sorry I can't be more definite. This is my first time as well.

Return to “Events”