Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Saturday Night Beer Swap

Post#1 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:10 am

Saturday, July 25,2009
Fontana Village Old Cafeteria Site
7:00 PM until ???

FIRST POST!

It's never too early to start collecting for the 2009 Saturday Night Beer Swap... List any requests here, as well as what you may be bringing. 2008 was a wonderful time, let's see if we can make 2009 even more epic.

Update 3/9/09
Figured I should drop a few requests... I'm looking for some Sweetwater, Duck-Rabbit, Deschuttes, Russian River and any other Southern or Western breweries I can't get in Ohio. I'll be bringing a collection to rival (or beat) last year's! (I'm wondering if I should get a trailer...) Of course there will be tasting as well as swapping... I've got a couple REAL GEMS to share!

Update 3/13/09
I have heard that Tapoco Lodge will be closed for the year so we need to find a new location for the beer swap. Feel free to suggest in this thread a location you feel would work. I'm still new to this only having been there one year, so any recommendations would help. I will update accordingly.

Update 3/16/09
Swingdancr has been kind enough to contact Fontana about the location best suited for the swap. He has suggested a good spot which is shown on This Map and on a map he created which can be seen a few posts down. Once he hears back from Fontana on whether or not this is a suitable location, I will update this post.

Update 5/22/09
The location for the swap has been approved by Fontana. The swap will take place at the old cafeteria site (now just an empty space) just past the General Store off of Welch Rd. in Fontana Village. See the full size map showing this location here and the Google Map of the location here. Meetup time is approximately 7pm and will go until we've had enough.

Update 6/23/09
I'm not dropping any hints or anything, but just to let you all know... The beer swap will also serve to be my de-facto birthday party... July 25th is my birthday!
Last edited by yoARKiV on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
The MATG Beer Guy
Official "ARKiV's Gap Attack!" Website: http://yoarkiv.com/arkiv/GA/
ARKiV's Gap Attack! Photo Page
ARKiV's Gap Attack! Video Page
My Picasa Photo Gallery from MATG XVI

Ted the Red
Tabcat Bridge
Tabcat Bridge

Re: Saturday Night Beer Swap

Post#2 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:24 pm

We just made our reservations, so there is no turning back now. I will see if I can't bring some down home , Fort Worth brewed frosty beverages with. Hope to see you all there.

Michael

Lightning
Tabcat Bridge
Tabcat Bridge

Post#3 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:28 pm

I'm there BABY!!! WEEEOOOOO :) I had a great time with james he had around 8,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Bottles of beer in his Miata lol BEST beer by the way!! I will bring a few bottles from greensboro, nc.

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#4 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:39 pm

Important update about the location of this event, see original post. (Update 3/13/09)
(this post is merely for bump)
The MATG Beer Guy

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#5 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:28 pm

Hotwheels has suggested the pool at Fontana Village as a possible location, as mentioned in This Post. So what do you think? I'm not very familiar with Fontana, but "by the pool" is always a good phrase!
The MATG Beer Guy

ntorch
The Overlook
The Overlook

Post#6 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:35 pm

I missed last year, but I'll have some Mad Anthony's, Rail Bender and Presque Isle Pilsner from the local brewerie. 8)
2009 CY

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#7 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:37 am

ntorch, NICE! I do like the Erie Brewing beers, Presque Isle Pilsner is a great one! I'll be sure to have some Bell's Oberon and maybe some Bell's Hopslam for ya.

On the subject of the location, a thought occurred to me this evening... Does Fontana have a restriction on glass bottles by the pool? If so, maybe we should consider the bonfire pit or some other location near there. A map of Fontana Village is in the first post of This Thread in the "Places To Stay" forum. Fontana regulars, help us out!
The MATG Beer Guy

gftl fan
Tabcat Bridge
Tabcat Bridge

Post#8 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:55 am

:dragon: We have stayed at the Lodge for the last two years-the area around the pool is not very big- and I do think they have a no glass allowed rule.

Frank & Lee Anne Fuller
Blue Ridge Miata Club of Southwest Virginia

Ron G K
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Post#9 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:03 am

I have stayed at Fontana for two years #three this year!
As for the pool area I don't think that is a good choice as the chap above mentioned it is a small area and Glass scares me when I take a swim?
The area just south of the pool is a snack bar and Bar! lots of parking and reasonable priced bar food. That gets the swap away from the direct eyes of the lounge area and office! Lets not give anyone a chance to start rumers ? We drive Miata's Not Harley's
Ron & Dee Kennedy

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#10 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:51 pm

Ron G K wrote:...The area just south of the pool is a snack bar and Bar! lots of parking and reasonable priced bar food...

Sounds good... Where on The Map are you talking about? Building #18, the Wildwood Grill?
The MATG Beer Guy

Hotwheels
Tabcat Bridge
Tabcat Bridge

Post#11 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:59 pm

I suggested the pool just in case it is hot this year it would give everyone a chance to cool off. Our room is beside the pool with a patio area that would be OK for coolers. This is outside the fenced pool area so I don't think the bottles will be an issue. We will have some plastic cups just in case. Our room will be open for restroom trips and if anyone else is staying in a poolside room that would give us more room.
Just for my Canadian friend Ron, I do ride a Harley also! :wink:

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#12 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:28 pm

EDIT:After looking at Swingdancr's map (see a couple posts down) I believe This Map shows the location he was talking about.

(Edited to show new Google map)
Last edited by yoARKiV on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The MATG Beer Guy

Swingdancr
Web Page Czar
Web Page Czar

Post#13 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:26 pm

Before ya'll plan an official place, let me talk to Fontana tomorrow to get their recommendation on where you can get together.

I'm putting together a map that will show where the vendors will be and where the beer swap will be.
Josh and Missy
Staying in Fontana
Driving the infamous Crabbycar

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#14 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:14 am

Swingdancr wrote:Before ya'll plan an official place, let me talk to Fontana tomorrow to get their recommendation on where you can get together.

Sweet! Thank you Swingdancr for doing some legwork for us! What a great idea to check with Fontana to help find a place for us. As I've said before, I have no experience with Fontana so any help is appreciated. Let us know what they say and I will edit my original post accordingly and we can move on to talking about the beer!
The MATG Beer Guy

Swingdancr
Web Page Czar
Web Page Czar

Post#15 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:11 am

OK, I've left a message for my contact at Fontana concerning the beer swap and am waiting on approval for the location. But, what I am proposing is the parking lot in front of the vendors.

A couple years ago, they tore down an old cafeteria and it's now just a nice grassy area. Depending on the weather, that would be a good place for vendors to set up. It's right beside the grocery store/ice cream parlor/general store. There's a decent sized parking lot directly in front of the grass area and plenty more parking available at the store and beside the pool. Should easily accommodate a couple hundred cars at a time. Plus there's more parking around the village close by. There's another 50-60 parking spots up in front of the Grille about a hundred yards away.

I wouldn't recommend using the pool area because of kids and the possibility of broken glass. Besides, the pool area closes at dark IIRC.

I couldn't find a recent aerial photo online that indicates where the pool is, but I got this one from Google.
Attachments
Fontana.JPG
Josh and Missy
Staying in Fontana

ntorch
The Overlook
The Overlook

Post#16 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:13 pm

yoARKiV wrote:ntorch, I'll be sure to have some Bell's Oberon and maybe some Bell's Hopslam for ya.

Now you're talkin!! Can't wait!
2009 CY

the blue potato
The Overlook
The Overlook

Post#17 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:49 pm

Yeah - the area in question is right behind this POS (just kidding!) - just big grassy field. Perfect if approved.

And another shot of said field - behind the two bozos.

The Blue Potato / 1995 NA8C Pitcrew #001 / R.S. Aizawa IRTB / www.thebluepotato.net

the blue potato
The Overlook
The Overlook

Post#18 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:02 pm

Oh - I am a porter and stout guy so I am looking to swap the dark stuff (that just sounded wrong) with someone....some of the beers that I will be bringing is anyone is interested...I may hold back the Ten Fiddy though :wink:

Ten Fiddy Stout (hard to find):

Any of the Athens, GA Terrapin beers:

And the Sweetwater brews:
http://www.sweetwaterbrew.com/

And the Red Brick beers:
The Blue Potato / 1995 NA8C Pitcrew #001 / R.S. Aizawa IRTB / www.thebluepotato.net

Swingdancr
Web Page Czar
Web Page Czar

Post#19 » Tue May 19, 2009 3:19 pm

The area has been approved.

The vendors and beer swap will take place in the parking lot and grassy area where the Old Cafeteria used to be.

birdseye.JPG
Josh and Missy
Staying in Fontana

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#20 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:39 pm

Awesome, Swingdancr! Thanks for doing the legwork. Time and place info updated in original post.
The MATG Beer Guy

the blue potato
The Overlook
The Overlook

Post#21 » Sun May 31, 2009 9:46 am

Sweet - I am sooooooooooooo there.

psbjames70
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#22 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:46 pm

beer yum count me in
2008 Special Edition MX-5 with Mazdaspeed Sways, Shocks, and Springs
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3113/245 ... e2ba_o.jpg

Ragtop Girl
Gap Mistress
Gap Mistress

Post#23 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:21 am

I'll be bringing a case from my local brewery - Victory Brewing Company in Downingtown, PA. Hop Devil, Prima Pils (my fave!), Golden Monkey, and Victory Lager will be included.
Stef

johnnymx5

Post#24 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:43 am

I will be brining some Mt. Carmel Brewing Company Ale...a nice little microbrew here in Cincinnati. They just started packaging in 12 oz bottles. Before you had to buy a jug o beer!

bladernr
Admin
Admin

Post#25 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:51 am

johnnymx5 wrote:I will be brining some Mt. Carmel Brewing Company Ale...a nice little microbrew here in Cincinnati. They just started packaging in 12 oz bottles. Before you had to buy a jug o beer!

This actually brings up a question I had... how much consumption will be going on during the beer swap? I was thinking about bringing two or three tasties from the little brewery in town, BUT they only sell them in the aforementioned Jug-O-Beer size. SO, If y'all tasters don't mind drinking that brew from plastic cups during the swap, I'll bring some with me.

Otherwise, maybe I'll hit the local beer shops to get some smaller containers. But keep in mind, the jugs are filled when you buy, so they are the freshest you can get outside of getting them off the tap at the brewery bar.

So anyone interested in that?

Jeff
"I drank what?" - Socrates

1991 SE British Racing Green
2007 Honda VTX1800C (Taming the Dragon with .2 extra Liters and 2 less wheels)

Return to “Events”